Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Mike's Blog, Too

Does my blog title look right to you? No? That's because it's wrong! Here's a picture I snapped on my phone a few days ago. It's a sign just outside of one of the local Filipino/Asian convenience stores.



The title on its own is grammatically incorrect, since it's a sentence fragment. Well, maybe there's a reason behind the poor grammar, right?

NOPE.

The owner of the store used to work at the original Water Plant at the corner of McPhillips St. and Logan St. When I asked him about the store name, he told me that he decided to open up another store closer to his home, and named it "Water Plant, Too" because it's both the second store and a Water Plant store.

"Why not just call it 'Water Plant 2'?" I asked.

"Well," said the owner, "I wanted the name to be clever and recognizable."

It's certainly recognizable, but not because it's clever.

Also, a bit of a bonus. At the bottom of the sign, under "Chicken," there's a phrase that says "LU2ONG FOOD." Reading that phrase out loud, you might pronounce it "loo-two-ong food" because there's a number two in there. However, spelled correctly, the phrase should read "LUTONG," which means "cooked" in Tagalog, and is pronounced "loo-tong."

So why the extra number 2 in there? Still trying to be clever? You tell me. *shrugs*

No comments:

Post a Comment